Town history 1814-1926An area which had been open farmland was, by 1901, a town of 11,000 people. Its central industry was shipbuilding - the Royal Dockyard generated the wealth which supported shops, the market, and community and civic life. Townspeople and benefactors provided many of early community buildings - particularly chapels, the Temperance Hall and the Mechanics' Institute. Hotels and public houses were also, naturally, popular venues. The town's development continued in an age when governments encouraged local authorities to provide yet more amenities and services, improving the quality of life. Schools came to offer education for all. The borough council commissioned gas street lighting, and ensured the town was provided with water and sewerage systems - public health was an increasingly important responsibility.In its early decades, Pembroke Dock had housed a sometimes primitive community of hard-working "pioneers". By 1914, its community had developed into a well-provided civic society. In this period, colourful street processions were a memorable feature of town life, often celebrating the opening of schools or public buildings.In World War I Pembroke Dock was a substantial garrison town, and the Dockyard remained in production. After the war, though, it became clear the yard was to close
Alvis Home gets Blue
The Alvis Owners Club were in Town today (19th July 2008) to replace a plaque on the former home and birth place of T. G. John the founder of the Alvis company, at 6 Church Street Pembroke Dock. On hand to help affix the plaque were Mr Andrew Robison Alvis Owners Club, Mr Bryan Carlisle Alvis Owners Club Member Number 175 with his 1927 Alvis 1250 TG and the Mayor of Pembroke Dock Councillor Ron Watts
Scholars suggest Llanion may be the Welsh Lonion / Llonyon, where bees were kept, and where a church associated with St. Teilo stood. The Meyrick family owned the substantial country house at Llanion in the eighteenth century, sometimes living there and sometimes letting it out. By 1810 it is "till of late years inhabited by a succession of tenants but ... now unroofed and suffered to fall into decay" as nearby Bush became "the principal family residence".